Veggie Fried Rice
Creating your take-out favourite at home is easy and delicious. This plant-based fried rice dish has all the umami, smoky goodness you are craving thanks to vEEF® “Bacon” Bits.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g vEEF® "Bacon" Bits, defrosted
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup capsicum
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- ¼ tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed or mince
- 2 cups day-old leftover, refrigerator rice
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- chilli-garlic sauce or sriracha, to taste
- Have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go. Place a pan over medium-high heat, but if at any point you catch a whiff of oil or food burning, reduce the heat to medium.
- Caramelise the "bacon" bits, this will take between 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the pan to heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and the carrots are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining veggies and salt. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally (don’t stir too often, or the veggies won’t have a chance to turn golden on the edges), until the veggies are cooked through and turning golden, about 3 to 5 more minutes. Transfer the veggies to a plate and leave them for later.
- Return the pan to heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add the rice and mix it all together. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is hot and starting to turn golden on the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked veggies and "bacon" bits and stir to combine. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Taste, and add a little more if needed.
- Divide into bowls and serve immediately. Serve with chili-garlic sauce or sriracha on the side.
Leftovers store well in the refrigerator, covered, for 3 to 4 days.