If you've not heard of Murtabak before, let us be your guide to this delicious mince stuffed dough. Our plant-based version of this savoury stuffed pancake is simple, filling and makes the perfect share plate.
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ small brown onion, diced
- 2 inch ginger
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 coriander bunch, chopped
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 vEEF® Mince, defrosted
- mango chutney, to taste
- fresh mint, to taste
- fresh coriander, to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add oil, yeast and water. Mix and combine ingredients well.
- Work the dough until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Split dough into 2 portions.
- Saute the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger until translucent. Add the curry paste and vEEF® Mince. Break the mince apart and sear until golden brown.
- Add finely chopped coriander and cook for another minute.
- Place filling in fridge to chill.
- In a large pan, heat some oil and add one portion of the pastry dough and cook for one minute.
- Place half of the mince filling in the middle and fold over four sides to form a square parcel. Use a spatula to press gently and flatten the murtabak.
- Allow the murtabak parcel to cook about 2 minutes until golden and crispy. Flip and repeat for other side.
- Repeat process for remaining murtabak portion.
- Once ready, cut and serve with a fresh side of garnishing salad and mango chutney.