This plant-based version of the classic Moussaka is everything you need in a family meal–easy, tasty, filling and comforting. With layers of eggplant, vEEF® Classic Burger Patties and creamy vegan bechamel, what's not to love?
- 13 x 9" casserole dish
- 2x vEEF® Classic Burger Patties, defrosted
- 100g onion, chopped
- 100g carrot, chopped
- 75g celery , chopped
- 5g garlic, chopped
- 20g tomato paste, (or sub with 150g grated tomato)
- 75g red wine
- 125g vegetable stock/water
- 10g parsley, chopped
- 5g thyme
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 65g extra virgin olive oil
- 2x eggplant, sliced to 1cm thick slices
- 75g flour
- 75g dairy-free butter
- 400g oat/soy milk
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 clove
- salt & pepper
- Add half of the olive oil in a hot pan. Use a spatula to break down and brown the vEEF® patties.
- Cook onion, garlic, carrot, celery and thyme in olive oil. Add salt.
- Add tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine and reduce until a syrupy texture is achieved.
- Add vegetable stock or water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season it to taste and finish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Melt the dairy-free butter in a pot. Once melted, whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Once roux has been cooked for 2 minutes, slowly drizzle in milk while stirring.
- Bring to boil and add all the spices and seasoning.
To assemble moussaka
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- While oven is preheating, pan fry eggplant slices 'till golden brown.
- Grease a 13×9" casserole dish and layer with fried eggplant slices.
- Spread filling mixture evenly on top of the eggplant slices.
- Place the final layer of eggplant on top of the filling mixture.
- Spread the bechamel sauce evenly over the final layer of eggplant slices.
- Bake the moussaka uncovered in oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove moussaka from oven and let rest for 15 minutes to reabsorb the liquids before serving.